My latest project is a jacket/skirt/blouse/hat ensemble inspired by 50s stewardess uniforms, particularly that from PanAm (and the recent series based on same). This is the hat, and how to make it. The tutorials for the jacket and skirt are in progress.
The site started life on blogger. As there are more static pages than blog entries I’m moving to WordPress.
Finished the skirt today. My shortest project as I only started the pattern for this on Sunday.
The pattern is listed under patterns.
I went for a slit at the rear, rather than a kick pleat, but i’ll probably produce a pattern variant for a kick pleat as this can look nice too.
The blouse finally completed. See how-to.
This is loosely styled on something I saw in a window in town. The pattern was created from scratch (from observation of existing garments and a reference book – Shirtmaking: Developing Skills for Fine Sewing). I’ll make the pattern available for download.
The frills on the front are added as a final step, so the same pattern can be used for a non-frills blouse too.
Initially I made this using silver poppers, but this didn’t pass muster with the wife. So I have developed a technique for covering poppers in latex to match the garment. I’ll post a page on this under Techniques.